Invited participation in Conferences
- “Women in Architecture: The African Exchange“, SAH 75th Annual International Conference, Pittsburgh (PA), USA; Panel organizer, April 27 – May 1, 2022.
“Colonial Urban Design and African Villages: Gutkind’s Theories on Nucleated Development,” Histories of Urban Design Conference, gta Institute, ETH, Zurich. November 15-17, 2021.
- “Repetition and Fascination in the Design of Habitat 67” – SAH 74th Annual International Conference, Montreal, Canada, Session: Habitat 67 and Postwar Architecture. Apr 14-18, 2021.
- “Blanche Lemco’s Expansion of the Modern Canon: Discourse of “Otherness” and Decolonized Design” – ACSA 108th Annual International Conference “Open”, San Diego, CA, USA, Session: History, Theory, Criticism. March 12-14, 2020 (conference cancelled).
- “Alternative Genealogies: The Exchange Mozambique-Brazil-Portugal”, SAH 72nd Annual International Conference, Providence, RI, USA, Session: Transatlantic Encounters: Africa and the Americas, 2019 (Apr 24-28).
- “Aldo van Eyck’s Research on Africa and North American University Curricula” International Conference “The Irritant Principle of Renewal – Celebrating 100 years Aldo&Hannie van Eyck”, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2018 (Nov 28-30).
- “Global Exchanges and Architectural Research on the African Village in the Work of Erwin Anton Gutkind”, International Conference “A World of Architectural History”, The Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, London, UK, 2018 (Nov 2-4).
- “From Germany to London: Erwin Anton Gutkind and the Theories on the African Village”, International Conference “Sites of Interchange: Modernism, Politics, and Culture in Britain and Germany, 1919-1951”, The Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, Strand, London, UK, 2018 (Nov 2-3).
- “The “African Effect”: Protest Movements and American University Curricula in the 1970s”, International Conference “The Sixties and the Education of the Architect: International Perspectives, Cité de l’architecture, Paris, France, 2018 (May 15‐16).
- “Lagos and the African City: A Disorderly Reality?” 18th N-AERUS (Network-Association of European Researchers on Urbanization in the South) Conference, Politecnico in Milan, Italy, 2017 (14th-16th Sept).
- “Planning the Post-war “Habitat:” African Design and CIAM 9“, II International Conference “African Urban Planning,” Institute of Geography and Planning, Lisbon, Portugal, 2017 (September 7-8).
- “Architectural Imperialism in Lagos. The Image of the African City“, International Conference “2016 Lagos: From the Pepperfarm to the Megacity (and Beyond)”, Barnard College – Columbia University, New York, USA, 2016 (6th-7th May)
- “The Plan for Addis Ababa and the Construction of Imperial Identities”, International Conference “Migrating Objects: Material Culture and Italian Identities”, John D. Calandra Italian American Institute, CUNY, Queens College, New York, USA, 2016 (April 29-30)
- “Post-war Architecture and African Legacy : Which Tradition?“, SAH 69th Annual Conference, Pasadena (LA), USA; Panel organizer, 2016 (6th-10th Apr)
- “Investigating the African City: Rem Koolhaas, Jacques Herzog, Pierre de Meuron, and Others “, 104th Annual Conference of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA), “Shaping New Knowledges,” University of Washington, Seattle (WA), USA, Session: International Design/Build Projects: Community Service or Architectural Imperialism. 2016 (17th-19th March)
- “Le Corbusier’s proposal for the capital of Ethiopia“, International Congress “Le Corbusier, 50 years later”, Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de la Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV), Valencia, Spain, 2015 (18th-20th Nov)
- “Post-War Mozambique, Western Legacies, and the Atlantic Ocean“, SAH 68th Annual Conference, Chicago, USA; Session: Watery Networks, 2015 (15th-19th Apr)
- “Lagos, Rem Koolhaas, and the Spaces In-Between”, European Association for Urban History (EAUH) and Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (NOVA), Lisbon, Portugal; Conference title: “12th International Conference on Urban History: Cities in Europe, Cities in the World – EAUH Lisbon 2014”, 2014 (3rd-6th Sep)
- “Le Corbusier, Marcel Griaule, and the Modern Movement: exploring the habitat from the airplane“, European Architectural Envisioning Association (EAEA), American Design Communication Association (DCA), School of Architecture and Society (Politecnico di Milano, Italy); International Conference “Envisioning Architecture: Design, Evaluation, Communication”, 2013 (25th-28th Sept)
- “The concept of “habitat”: the cellular design reformulation of the postwar Modern Movement”, UNISCAPE, AMP Laboratory, UMR LAVUE 7218 CNRS/Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Paris-La Villette, with the support of the TOPIA network, LANDSCAPE EUROPE, IALE Europe, CIVIL-SCAPE, EFLA, ECLAS and AESOP, under the patronage of UNESCO; International Conference “Landscape and Imagination. Towards a new baseline for education in a changing world”, 2013 (2nd-4th May)
- “A new lesson from the territory of Bandiagara, Mali: the Dogon landscape transformation of the cliff”, Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Architecture, The Netherlands, “EAAE/ISUF International Conference ‘New Urban Configurations'”, 2012 (16th-19th October)
- ” Growing principles and spontaneous architecture”, IUAV, Italy, Conference title: “Nuove qualità del vivere in periferia. Rigenerare lo spazio urbano residenziale”, 2011
- “Growing settlement principles and the spontaneous Dogon architecture”, IUAV and Atout African Arch.it, Italy, Conference title: “Day study on Benin”, 2011
- “Architecture’s DNA: morphogenetic process and topological environmental adaptation. Tourist sustainable design project in Ha Long Bay, Vietnam”, Melia (Mediterranean Dialogue on Integrated Water Management), Blue in Architecture International Symposium, IUAV, Italy; Conference title: “Capacity Building Training Seminar on Integrated – Water Management in the Mediterranean”, 2010
To inquire about speaking availability please contact me